Monday, August 11, 2014

Fix Your Eyes on Jesus


I have had a lot on my mind lately. My plans. My finances. My ministry. My health. My beauty. My self-consciousness. My friends. My schedule. My future. Did you notice a pattern (and an annoying one at that)? In my thinking, I’m focused on “my” life instead of remembering that life is all about Jesus. It is so easy for me to take my gaze off of my Savior and put it onto myself and my problems.

The last couple days, I’ve spent very little time with the Lord. Instead of setting my eyes on God, I was looking at my own life and failing to have the peace God promises His children. Weariness had set in to my heart. But my heart found quietness last night as I sat down with my Bible and journal and spent time reading Scripture, praying, and writing down the insights God gave me from His Word. God renewed my soul. Today, I have felt the restfulness of being in Christ and looking to Him.


Isaiah 26:3-4 is a beautiful passage:

“You keep Him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on youbecause He trusts in you.
Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.”

When our eyes are “stayed” or fixed firmly on God, we have His “perfect peace.” This is the same peace Paul mentions in Philippians 4:6-7.

Do not be anxious about anything
but in everything by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”


There have been so many times in my life when instead of running straight to God with my worries and plans, I pushed Him aside and chose to stress about it myself, trying to figure everything out on my own. But it doesn't work, because I can't live life alone. I need Jesus. We need Jesus. When we look to Him and read His Word, our perspective is changed as we recognize His greatness and beauty and that He deserves and has earned our trust.

As I was reading Scripture last night and seeking God’s renewing grace, I came across this verse.

“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!” ~ Psalm 46:10

Our God is wonderful. As we are still before Him and see His power and exaltation, the things in our lives grow less important and stressful. He grows more amazing to us as we know Him more and recognize that we can trust Him and lean on Him.


So, Friends, let’s take our eyes off of ourselves as we walk this path and set them on Christ. Laying aside everything that distracts us and setting our attention on Jesus brings such peace. As we learn to be still and know that our God is God and delight to spend time in His presence, we can walk with quieted hearts. We find rest when we look away from “me” and fix our eyes on Jesus.


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, 
let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely,
and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith,
who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross,
despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."
~ Hebrews 12:1-2

Growing with you,
Christina

Soli Deo Gloria - To God Alone Be the Glory!