Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Sleep in Peace

Have you ever laid in bed at night, unable to sleep because there is so much on your mind? It’s been like that for me recently. I crawl under the covers, tired from a long day and ready for sleep, but my mind is as active as ever. Worry creeps in as I wonder what my Fall schedule will look like and how busy I’ll be. Will I have time for everything I want to do? What if I wear myself down?

Yesterday as I was looking over my schedule (since I started my college classes for the semester), I learned that this Fall isn’t going to be as busy as I expected. The weeks when I thought I would have too much going on, I found that those were the weeks when a certain activity stopped. I was amazed. And I've been sleeping better. 


As I think about how prone I am to worry and stress about the future (even the very near future), Jesus’ words come to mind:

“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.
Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” ~ Matthew 6:34

 I like that. We don’t know what’s ahead, but God does. He calls us to trust Him. In context, Jesus is teaching the people not to be anxious about their food or clothing, for He will provide. God is the provider and He is in control of our lives, so we can trust Him and not be anxious.


Whatever perplexities we are facing, we can remember that God is in control. He is at work. He is doing all things well and working all things together for good in our lives. Even if we can’t see around the “bend in the road”, we can walk by faith.

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” ~ 2 Corinthians 5:7

In the book Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery, the heroine (who is one my favorite storybook characters), red-headed, imaginative Anne Shirley was planning to study at Redmond (a college). But she realizes the need to stay home with Marilla Cuthburt, the woman who adopted her and raised her, whose eyes are failing. When she tells Marilla about her decision she says,
                             
“When I left Queens’ my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don’t know what lies around the bend, but I’m going to believe that the best does. I wonder how the road beyond it goes – what there is of green glory and soft, checkered light and shadows – what new landscapes – what new beauties – what curves and hills and valleys further on” (Page 303).


I don’t know about you, but when there’s a bend in my road which I can’t see around, I get worried. Unlike my concerned spirit, Anne has an attitude of faith. She doesn’t know what’s ahead, but she trusts that there are good things on the path.

As Christians, we know that God has promised that
“for those who love God all things work together for good,
for those who are called according to his purpose.” ~ Romans 8:28

There may be difficulties ahead. But God has it under control. We can go to sleep in peace because God is holding us and our lives in His hand. Whatever you're worrying about, whatever is bringing you stress, and whatever makes you lie awake in bed, bring it to Jesus, walk by faith, and fall asleep.


I hope you sleep well tonight, resting in the knowledge that God is in control.

“In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
    
for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”
~ Psalm 4:8 

Love in Christ,                                                                 
Christina

Soli Deo Gloria – To God Alone Be the Glory!