Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Faithfulness of God


There are times in my life when I find myself discouraged and distant from the Lord. Today I was wondering why I keep falling away from my joy-filled, fulfilling, intimate walk with God.

As I wonder why this happens, I do know how it happens. When I take my eyes off of Jesus and stop reading His Word and spending time with Him, instead I start focusing on myself and other things. My heart and mind quickly grow distracted, worried, and soon, discouraged.

I think God allows me these seasons of distance so that He can woo me back into His loving presence and so that I can taste (yet again) the forgiveness He offers, falling in love with Him all over again. I need to trust that He will welcome me back. Just like He always does. 


In the book of Hebrews, I've been reading so much about my God and I've noticed how often the author talks about His faithfulness.  

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." ~ Hebrews 13:8

My Lord is the always the same. He is always faithful. My feelings will fluctuate. I know I'm not perfect and there will be times when I'm unfaithful. But my Lord is faithful. He will never change or fail. He is always the same. And I can lean on Him, living in dependance on Him. 


"We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek." ~ Hebrews 6:19-20

These verses gripped my heart today. Jesus, my high priest, is my sure (trustworthy) and steadfast (faithful) anchor. I am secure and held fast in Him. He is holding me. Because He is faithful, I'm not going anywhere. I'm safe in Him.

"Consequently, He is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through Him, 
since He always lives to make intercession for them." ~ Hebrews 7:25

My precious Jesus saves me to the uttermost. In other words, He saves me completely. As I draw near, He welcomes me, for He is always (imagine that!) interceding for me. He never leaves. I may be distracted, discouraged, and unfaithful, but He never leaves me alone. He is so faithful and true.


Today as I have been drawn back into the presence of God, I have felt His peace and joy again. Lying on a blanket outside, reading His Word, and writing about Him brought me back into His presence and helped me to experience who He is. To see that He is faithful. And I love Him so much because He is.

This video from the Ellerslie Mission Socieity presents all the names of Christ throughout Scripture. Please take the time to watch and worship, recognizing how wonderful our God is and seeing the beauty that He doesn't change. He is always faithful.


In the faithfulness of Christ,
Christina

Soli Deo Gloria ~ To God Alone Be the Glory!