Thursday, December 18, 2014

Honest to God

“Lord, I don’t want to read your Word right now…I don’t love it…Scripture seems so boring.”

Have you ever prayed something like this to God? It can be hard to be honest with Him, for we want to say things such as, “Lord, your Word is sweet…It brings me peace….I love it more than any other book.” We want to pray with the Psalmist, “I will delight in your statutes” (Psalm 119:16a). It is wonderful when we can come to a place in our spiritual walk that we can say such things to Him. But until we can pray these words honestly, we shouldn’t lie and pretend we love God’s Word when we don’t.

Learning to be honest with the Lord about our lack of desire for Him and His Word is the first step in delighting in Scripture and His presence. Recently in my own life, I felt a lack of thirst for God. I didn’t want to be with Him. I didn’t want to read the Bible. I didn’t want to pray. While I was discouraged about my lack of desire for the Lord and His Word, I wasn’t sure how to change in order to cultivate a thirst for Him.

God prompted me to be honest with Him instead of putting on a show for Him with my devotions. Reading excerpts of my recent journal entries, I see a heart longing for a desire for His Word and presence. I prayed, begging the Lord to give me a hunger for His Word and for Him.

You know what’s so amazing? He did! I’m still learning and growing, but lately, I’ve enjoyed reading Scripture and sitting at Jesus’ feet, basking in His presence and His Truth. Instead of thinking of this act as a bore, I am learning to enjoy it again and delight in God and the gift of His Word.

Do you struggle to love Scripture? Is your quiet time a pain rather than a joy? Tell Jesus! He already knows and He wants you, as He wanted me, to tell Him. As we draw near to His throne, asking for grace, He will give it. “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need” (Hebrews 4:16).

God doesn’t want us to try to act like we have it all together. Our prayers are mockery to Him if we are just saying things for the sake of saying them. When we pretend we love God’s Word when we don’t, we’re lying to Him. Instead, God calls us to honesty, for “if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). As we tell Him about our struggle to love His Word, He will heal and renew us, giving us a deeper love and passion for Him and Scripture. He can do it and He will. Let’s just ask and be honest to God.

Blessings,
Christina

Soli Deo Gloria ~ To God Alone Be the Glory!