Saturday, February 21, 2015

I Think I Have a Crush….

He was cute. Or, at least I thought so. We were so young, but it was a mutual crush complete with notes, blushes, grins, jewelry, and glances. It seemed cute at the time and it was pretty harmless. Until I started keeping secrets. Like not telling my parents we were exchanging notes or having certain conversations. That's never a good place to be. I was distracted by this guy, even when I got older and moved away. Feeling guilt because of my secrets and holding on to liking this guy was a huge distraction in my life. When I confessed my sins to my mom and started fresh, it was still hard to let go of those feelings.

You know, it's often like that. It's easy to have a crush on a guy who's cute, has good qualities, or has a great personality. We think that having a crush will be so fun and cutesy, but it's not long before it's not so fun and it gets complicated. I've learned time and time again that although it starts out feeling good to like a guy, it quickly becomes a big distraction and even spirals into feeling low and sometimes falling into sinful thoughts and perhaps sinful actions.

But there is hope. As we turn our eyes to Jesus and seek His help, we can let go of a crush and grab on to Him. Here are some practical actions from Scripture that have helped me turn my thoughts back to the Lord.

1. Pray: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).

2. Memorize and recite Scripture verses: "How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word...I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you" (Psalm 119: 9, 11).

3. Tell your mom or dad about your crush: "Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy" (Proverbs 28:13).

4. Think of him and interact with him as a sister, not a lover: "Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, in all purity" (1 Timothy 5:1-2).

5. Don't giggle about your crush with friends: "Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving" (Ephesians 5:4).

6. Spend time with mature, godly friends and mentors. "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near" (Hebrews 10:24-25).

7. Get busy: "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ" (Colossians 2:23-24).

There is so much joy and freedom in walking in purity. Every season of life in which God has granted me the grace to not have a crush or to get a handle on those feelings, I have felt the freedom of walking with a pure heart and focus on the Lord and the things He has given me to do. It's my deep hope and prayer that you will be able to walk through this amazing life God has given you with a pure heart that can clearly see the Lord, unhindered and undistracted by guys: “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God" (Matthew 5:8).

As I wrote the story above about my first crush, I typed with a smile on my face, for I have learned so much about purity and the Lord since then. I can look back and remember the lessons I learned and the funny things that happened. Setting aside the bad because of the forgiveness of God and the hope of His continued grace in my life, I have the joy of continuing to seek His guidance to walk in purity. For as you and I work toward purity together, it is ultimately God's grace working within us: "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me" (1 Corinthians 15:10).

Let's continue to trust Jesus with our purity, turn our hearts and minds to Him, and walk through this life with a smile of hope and trust in His continued help and grace, for God is good and He will lead us every step of the way!

Still on the journey of purity with you,
Christina

Soli Deo Gloria ~ To God Alone Be the Glory!