Thursday, May 14, 2015

Maybe Looking Young Isn't So Bad

Not long into a conversation, I have begun to expect the question. "What grade are you in?" With a practiced smile, I respond, "I'm actually in my second year of college."

I guess I look young. People tell me I do. And I'll be honest, I've been indigent about it. Growing up, people always thought I was older than I actually was and I was flattered because it took it to mean that I looked older and acted mature. That was until I turned eighteen. Now, it seems that I haven't grown up since I graduated highschool.

But just this week, I had a change of heart.

As I thought about how easily I connected with young women who are younger than me, finding it very, very easy to bridge the age gaps, I realized that my youthful looks and personality definitely help. If I looked and acted a lot older, these girls would probably be turned off or turned away. But they're not, because I can relate to them.

God has made me look young for a purpose: To better serve Him. So I accept and embrace this gift with joy now, realizing that I can be used in a fuller way to serve and love His daughters because of it. I wouldn't exchange that for mature looks and personality.

Then, I started thinking about looking young in regards to modesty. Dressing modestly makes us look younger in many ways. If we aren't heavily painted up with make-up and wearing revealing clothes, we may not look as old as we really are and probably won't look any older. Even in this, there is good purpose.

God has made you just as you are and you are beautiful to Him. Even if dressing modestly makes you look younger or get less noticed than girls who choose to dress less modestly, you are better able to serve the Lord.

Paul wrote to Timothy, urging him to encourage the women in his church to pursue modesty by dressing for God's service. He wrote,

"Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works." 
~ 1 Timothy 2:9-10

In this passage, we are reminded that clothing ourselves with "good works" is more important and beautiful than fancy hair, valuable jewelry, or expensive clothing - all of which, I might add, would probably make us also look older. When we are clothing ourselves with good works, we are focusing on how we can serve the Lord, more than how we look or dress. And when we are doing so, we will most likely look younger. 

Another passage that speaks to this is Proverbs 31. All throughout the second half of the chapter, we read about a woman who works hard. She is a diligent, faithful, hard-working woman. Her praise concludes with these verses:

"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates."
~Proverbs 31:30-31

Charm (which could include flirting, being overly friendly to get attention, etc.) is fake and outward beauty is fleeting, but a heart for the Lord is praiseworthy. Here again, we are reminded that "her works" are what will last. Being charming and outwardly beautiful would make us appear older, but that doesn't really matter in the end.

What matters is our faithful work and service for the Lord. That's what He desires of us and that is what will make a difference in the world and the people around us. 

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ."
~ Colossians 3:23-24

And remember, Friends, if you look young like me, whether because of your looks, personality, or modest dress (or all of the above!) people say that we'll appreciate being young-looking when we get older. I'm sure we will!

Blessings from a young-looking gal,
Christina

P.S. If you do happen to look older, enjoy it! And be sure to be modest!

Soli Deo Gloria ~ To God Alone Be the Glory!