Sunday, May 10, 2015

Why Are You So Happy?

A few weeks ago I was walking into church for orchestra practice and cheerfully greeted a couple of fellow orchestra members with a bright smile. Our flutist mischievously asked me, "why are you so happy?". Laughing it off, we walked into the church.

Later, I started thinking. Why am I so happy? What makes a difference in my life and gives me a deep joy? I'll be honest. I don't always smile and I don't always have a happy spirit. My little sister has asked me several times recently if I'm okay because she thought I looked sick and sad. But on the whole, when I look at my life and my smile, there is a depth to my joy that is deeper than the joy of the world. The world's joy is only momentary. It vanishes, just like that! But my joy is deeper and fuller because it comes from the Lord.

Yesterday, I worked long hours at both my jobs. The day felt like it would never end and I was sore, exhausted, and queasy. Inwardly, I hoped someone would say something about my smile, but didn't think that would be possible because I felt so tired and wasn't very happy. But while I helped a customer, she said, "Thank you for your smile…you beautify this place." As I was sweeping the floors when we closed that night, tears stung in my eyes at the memory. God's joy had still shone through me, even when I was at my weakest, saddest point.

Joy isn't dependent on how we feel or on our circumstances. The joy of the Lord is strength and it shines in and through us. "And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength" (Nehemiah 8:10b). For, what are we rejoicing in? Ourselves? Our feelings? Our circumstances? No! We are rejoicing in the Lord and there is so much to rejoice in through Him. "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice" (Philippians 4:4). Because of Him, we can be glad, no matter what: "Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart!" (Psalm 32:11). This passage from Habbakuk reflects the beauty of joy in every circumstances, for even when everything else had failed, he could still find his joy and strength in God:

"Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
God, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer's;
he makes me tread on my high places."
~ Habbakuk 3:17-19

Be happy in Jesus. Find your joy in Him. And when someone asks you, "Why are you so happy?" you can tell them that it is the Lord shining in and through you!

In His joy,
Christina

Soli Deo Gloria ~ To God Alone Be the Glory!