Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Beauty of Older Women


We've been looking at lot at the topic of modesty in recent weeks. One of the sweetest aspects of modesty is that it showcases the inner beauty of the heart, which is most precious to God (1 Peter 3:4). I asked my friend Levi to reflect on why he thinks older women are beautiful and his answer reveals the significance of inner beauty. I hope you enjoy reading his thoughts!

Ever since I can remember, I have not seen beauty in clear skin, height, eye color, or hair color. Those things are nice, of course, but I have seen beauty in something else entirely. And I have seen that something in one broad group of women in particular: older Christian women. When I look at one of these dear sisters in the faith, I don’t see their wrinkles. I don’t see their scars from past surgeries. I don’t see their gray hair. And I definitely don’t notice the minute details of their nails or veins. I don’t even consider whether their clothes are beautiful. All I notice is that smile, and the matching twinkling eyes, and I see beauty. True, pure, godly beauty. Then my eyes start to notice the gray hair, the wrinkles, the clothes... And it all blends into the smile... to be beautiful. And that is why wrinkles and gray hair are endearing to me. Because of the smile that often follows.

Bio: My name is Levi. I'm a writer, musician, reader, teen, talker, and a doodling artist. I blog about living the Christian Faith and some things you could call self-improvement at levipierpont.wordpress.com.