Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Faith…Finding Enduring Boldness in Times of Suffering

By Kyrsten N. and Rebekah T. 


“And now, compelled by the spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me – the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace.”

~ Acts 20:22-24

Paul's situation was inevitable – prison and hardships had faced him before, and he knew the pain of suffering (see 2 Corinthians 11:23-29). But instead of shrinking from this trial, Paul charged into it with faith and complete sacrifice of his own will. How can we display this same confidence that is from the Holy Spirit? Romans 8:17 says,

“Now if we are children, then we are heirs – heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.”

If there is a time of suffering, then there is always going to be a time of renewal – when everything is new again and the glory of Christ rewards us for our endurance. If we hold onto our faith in the midst of the struggle, then we will come out with an even stronger, bolder faith.

“But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.” ~ Jeremiah 17:7-8

So this faith must not be a faith in ourselves, but in God, for we can do nothing without his strength.

In the seasons of good times, we must also build each other up and be strengthened by the Word. This takes commitment.

“Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My father will honor the one who serves me.” ~ John 12:25-26

Service is important. When a trial comes and you feel flustered and bogged down by the weight of the world, try serving others. It will take the focus off of you and put it on God, which is the only way we can endure through the struggles we face. (See John 13:14-17.)

“Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you endured in great conflict, full of suffering. Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated. You suffered along with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions. So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.” 
~ Hebrews 10:32-35

“Love eases pain, and when one loves God, one suffers for Him with joy and with courage...My pains and sufferings would be a paradise to me if I suffered them with God, and the greatest pleasures would be a hell if I enjoyed them without him. All my solace is to suffer something for him.” ~ Brother Lawrence

Thank you for sharing, Kyrsten and Rebekah! Blessings, Christina

Soli Deo Gloria ~ To God Alone Be the Glory!